HSE Employee Bios
Margaret A. Catillaz
- New York
Maggie Catillaz counsels multinational corporations, educational institutions, hospitals and other health care facilities, smaller employers and individuals on immigration matters including permanent residence, labor certifications, temporary work visas, NAFTA issues, and employment eligibility verification requirements. Her experience includes the following:
- Representing multinational corporations in securing the transfer of key foreign personnel into the United States under appropriate work visas.
- Representing universities and colleges in connection with securing work authorizations for foreign faculty members and with issues relating to foreign students.
- Representing research scholars, physicians, and medical groups in securing waivers of the two-year foreign residence requirement.
- Representing health care facilities in securing employment of foreign physicians, nurses, and other health care professionals.
- Securing Labor Certification from the Department of Labor under the PERM system for positions for which there are no available United States workers.
- Assisting clients in compliance with pertinent immigration regulations for employment verification and in I-9 audits.
- Assisting clients involved in mergers and acquisitions to assure compliance with immigration regulations.
- Rutgers University, J.D., 1976
- State University of New York at Albany, B.A., cum laude, 1972
Professional and Civic Activities
- Former President, American Immigration Lawyers Association (2000-2001)
- Former Member, Board of Governors, American Immigration Lawyers Association (1989-2012)
- Former President and Member, Volunteer Legal Services Project
- Member and former President, International Business Council, Rochester Business Alliance (formerly Rochester Chamber of Commerce)
- Member, National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Monroe County Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Recognized by Chambers USA, 2005-present
- Empire State Counsel, 2009
- Selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of Immigration Law
- AV Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers® 2007-2013 in the field of Immigration
- Super Lawyers® - Top 25 Women New York Super Lawyers (2012)
- Listed in International Who's Who in Corporate Immigration Lawyers, 1998-present
- Conference Chair, Immigration Law Conferences, New York State Bar Association, annually from 2004 to present.
- Speaker, H-1B Options for Physicians, AILA, Washington DC, 2009.
- Speaker, Dealing with Corporate Downsizing and Layoffs, AILA Fall Conference, Pittsburgh, PA, 2009.
- Speaker, Immigration Issues for MBA Candidates, Warner School of Business, Syracuse University, July 2009.
- Speaker, Cross-Border Issues, The Capitol Corridor Conference, Watertown, NY, April 2009.
- Speaker, PERM Audits, NJ Bar Association Annual Immigration Conference, Newark, NJ, 2008.
- Speaker, Cost Benefit Issues of Immigration Expense, EACUBO Annual Conference, Toronto, 2008.
- Speaker, File that I-140 Quickly, AILA Immigration Symposium, NY, December 2008.
- Keynote Speaker, International Career Expo, Simon School, University of Rochester, 2007.
- Speaker, Immigration Issues in Higher Education, Conference on Law and Higher Education, Stetson University, 2007.
- Speaker, Update on Immigration Issues Affecting Foreign Faculty, Conference on Law and Higher Education, Stetson University, 2006.
- Speaker, U.S. Immigration Through Investment, Global Immigration Summit, London, 2005.
- Speaker, Update on Immigration Issues Affecting Foreign Faculty, Stetson University 26th Annual National Conference on Law and Higher Education, 2005.
- Speaker, Achieving Competitive Advantage Through Immigration: Faculty Recruiting and Retention Issues, Stetson University 25th Annual National Conference on Law and Higher Education, 2004.
- Speaker, U.S. Immigration for the Innovator or Entrepreneur, Global Business Immigration Conference, London, 2003.
- Speaker, Hot Issues from INS Headquarters, presentation at Keeping Pace with the Changing Immigration Law Landscape, U.S. and Canadian Immigration Law. Conference sponsored by Upstate New York Chapter of AILA and the Bar Association of Erie County, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada, 2002.
- Speaker, Keynote Presentation at Third Annual New York Chapter Immigration Law Symposium, New York City, 2001.
- Speaker, Update from the INS and State Department, presentation at 33rd Annual Immigration & Naturalization Institute, conference sponsored by Practicing Law Institute, New York City, 2000.
- Speaker, Keynote Presentation at 13th Annual AILA California Chapters Conference, San Francisco, California, 2000.
- Speaker, The Winds of Washington, presentation at 24th Annual Conference on Immigration and Nationality Law. Conference sponsored by University of Texas School of Law, 2000.
- Speaker, Update on Nonimmigrant Visa Issues, presentation at Year 2002 Immigration Law Update. Conference sponsored by New York State Bar Association, New York City, 2002.
- Editor-in-Chief, Immigration Options for Physicians, 3rd Ed. (AILA, 2009) and 2nd Ed. (AILA 2004).
- Author, “Unconstitutional Licensure Restriction to Physicians in New York State,” Immigration Options for Physicians, 3rd Ed., 2009, AILA.
- Contributing Author, “Achieving Success for Employers in Hiring the Best and the Brightest,” Immigration Law Client Strategies, Aspatore, 2008.
- Author, “The Labor Certification Application”, Professionals: A Matter of Degree, 4th Ed., Lawler, 2003, AILA at 176 et seq.
- Author, “Hot Topics in Non-Immigrant Visa Processing", presentation at Fifth Annual New York Chapter Immigration Law Symposium, In Pursuit of the American Dream, New York City, 2002.
- Author, "Who's on First: Understanding Agencies’ Authority and Jurisdiction", Immigration Law Basics and More (2001, American Law Institute-American Bar Association).
- Author, "Avoiding Labor Certification - Employment Based Priority Workers, Schedule A and National Interest Waivers", Immigration Law Basics and More (2000, American Law Institute-American Bar Association).
- Author, “Adjustment of Status: New Problems and New Benefits,” Creative Lawyering for the 90’s and Beyond (1995, American Immigration Lawyers Association, Midyear Conference Handbook).
- Author, “Documentation of Employment Based Immigration”, 27th Annual Immigration and Naturalization Institute (1994, Practicing Law Institute).
- Author, “Employment Based-1: Priority Workers,” 1994 Immigration Law Update (1994, New York State Bar Association).
- Author, “Changes in the Worldwide and Per Country Numerical Limits”, Understanding the Immigration Act of 1990: AILA’s New Law Handbook, 1991.
- Author, “Significant Miscellany: Selected Provisions of the Immigration Act of 1990”, The New Immigration Act of 1990: 1991 Immigration Law Update (1991, New York State Bar Association).
- Author, “Viability of Labor Certification in the Face of Changes in Employers or Aliens,” Manual on Labor Certification: Practice - Procedure (1990, American Immigration Lawyers Association).