Christopher M. Potash
- Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Privacy and Data Security
- New York
Christopher Potash is an employee benefits and executive compensation lawyer with broad-based experience in tax, corporate, securities, and other laws and regulations impacting executive compensation, as well as the New York Stock Exchange and NASDAQ rules and Sarbanes-Oxley. Christopher represents both public and private companies, from closely held businesses to Fortune 100 companies. His experience includes:
- Design, implementation and operation of executive compensation arrangements, including cash bonuses, incentive stock options, non-qualified stock options, stock appreciation rights, restricted stock units, phantom stock, and performance units.
- Design, implementation, and operation of director compensation arrangements.
- Design, implementation, and operation of deferred compensation arrangements and rabbi trusts, including compliance with Section 409A of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Design of change-in-control agreements, severance agreements, parachute payments and golden handcuffs.
- Ongoing advice regarding executive compensation arrangements, including corporate governance and reporting issues.
- Implementation of and advice regarding the executive compensation limitations applicable to companies participating in the U.S. Treasury's TARP Capital Purchase Program.
- Albany Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 1993
- University of Chicago Law School, 1992-1993
- University of Rochester, B.A., Economics, magna cum laude, 1990
- United States Tax Court
Professional and Civic Activities
- Member, The National Association of Stock Plan Professionals
- Member, American Bar Association
- Former Board Member, Grantmakers Forum of New York
- Former Board Member, Gilda's Club Rochester New York
- Coordinator, United Way of Greater Rochester, 2005 and 2006 Campaigns
Honors and Awards
- Named in Best Lawyers® as the “Best Lawyers’ 2017 Tax Law Lawyer of the Year in Rochester
- Named in Best Lawyers® as the “Best Lawyers’ 2016 Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law Lawyer of the Year in Rochester
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of Tax Law and Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers® 2007, 2012-2016
- BV Distinguished® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recipient, 2007 "Forty Under 40" Award, Rochester Business Journal
- Author, "Will Incentive Compensation Rules Spread?," Rochester Business Journal, May 20, 2016
- Board of Editors and Contributing Author, White New York Business Entities, Fourteenth Edition, LexisNexis, 2005
- Co-Author, Dividing a Closely Held Corporation when a Couple Divorces, Estate Planning, February 1996