Thomas J. Hurley
- Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Privacy and Data Security
- New York
Tom Hurley is an employee benefits and executive compensation lawyer with a broad range of employee benefits experience and a concentration in welfare benefit plan matters. His experience includes:
- Preparation of plan documents, summary plan descriptions, and other benefit communications.
- Advising clients with respect to plan administration, benefit aspects of corporate transactions, and benefit litigation.
- Design and implementation of welfare benefit plans including flexible benefit plans, self-insured health plans, and health savings accounts.
- Advising clients with respect to the implementation and administration of such plans, including the negotiation of administrative service agreements, compliance with the requirements of COBRA and HIPAA, and subrogation and reimbursement matters.
- Advising clients with respect to Medicare Part D retiree drug subsidy opportunities and obligations.
- Advising clients regarding IRS remedial correction programs.
- Advising clients regarding retiree health plan strategy.
Previously, Tom served as Senior Counsel, Employee Benefits of TRW Inc.
- Albany Law School, J.D., 1988
- State University of New York at Albany, B.A., magna cum laude, 1985
Professional and Civic Activities
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Erie County Bar Association
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Boys and Girls Clubs of Buffalo
Honors and Awards
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2017 Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Buffalo
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2015 Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Buffalo
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers® 2007-2016
- Legal Elite of Western New York, Buffalo Business First/Buffalo Law Journal - 2016
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Who’s Who in Law, Business First of Buffalo/Buffalo Law Journal - 2010, 2011, 2012