HSE is committed to providing legal services and access to the justice system for individuals who cannot afford to pay for a lawyer. Firm attorneys are encouraged to become involved in pro bono representation and fundraising for organizations that provide legal representation to those in need. As part of that commitment, the firm supports local initiatives that increase the availability of pro bono legal services, such as the Volunteer Legal Services Project (“VLSP”) of Monroe County, NY and the Volunteer Lawyers Project, Inc. of Erie County, NY. Below is a listing of some of our pro bono efforts:
- HSE Pro Bono Policy. This policy promotes pro bono service by urging each attorney at the firm to perform at least 50 hours of pro bono service annually. The firm treats authorized hours of pro bono service as billable time. This policy paved the way for HSE to secure a precedent setting pro bono victory for disabled prisoners and class members generally in 2019. Click here to read the news release about this important victory for disabled and chronically-ill prisoners.
- HSE Pro Bono Poster Campaign. To keep this important service top-of-mind with legal staff, a series of posters are displayed throughout the firm. The posters reflect the value of pro bono service from both a personal and philanthropic perspective.
- HSE Annual Pro Bono Recognition Event. HSE holds this event to recognize all of the firm’s pro bono stars, those who devoted 25 or more hours to pro bono cases in the past year. One attorney is recognized for exceptional pro bono service. Last year’s recipient devoted more than 250 hours to representing clients in custody, support and visitation cases.
- Women Helping Girls. HSE serves as pro bono legal counsel for the Women Helping Girls program of the American Association of University Women. Women Helping Girls provides girls in grades seven through twelve in the Rochester City School District with a series of activities and enriching experiences designed to broaden horizons, develop life skills, and reinforce the importance of education. Women Helping Girls emphasizes mentoring, a sense of community, and positive interactions with peers and family.
- Campaign for Justice. Each year, HSE participates in the Campaign for Justice, an annual fundraiser supporting local legal service providers which provide legal services to those in need. The firm has exceeded its goals each year, with nearly 100% participation among firm partners.